Taxi's Articles

Activist, Heal Thyself

Check your tribalism at the door, please.  Roll your sleeve up, check your own pulse.  Now clean your ears, clear your throat, do some eyeball exercises – shake your wrists, wiggle your fingers, roll your neck, now crack your neck and let’s get cracking!  Welcome to the collective Palestine movement!  You may now enter.

Aaaah it was good to have the long overdue JVP/Weir discussion.  Finally MW opened a window and let in some fresh air.   But why did the MW editors leave the room soon as lanes of oxygen flooded in?  It would be a good thing for MW editors to let us know where they stand on ‘GatekeeperGate’.  Are they for gatekeeping the Palestine debate or are they against it?  It’s a very simple question, really.  A succinct yes or no from the editors would suffice.  The longer they take to answer, the more the reader will wonder about the genuineness of their agenda.  One assumes and hopes that MW editors are 100% against any scurrilous Machiavellian activities in the Palestine movement, including dishonorable activities by their personal friends, associates or patrons.  But we need to hear that from the horse’s mouth.  Make it official, MW.  Stand up, Phil and Adam, and let your voices be counted and recorded for posterity and for history.

It’s no exaggeration to say that an earthquake erupted with the publishing of MW’s “Roundtable” article.  Upon close examination, we discover that the badly injured are actually the very people that caused the earthquake in the first place.  To a large degree, JVP and EtO are damaged goods now in the eyes of the majority of the Palestine activist community.  Unapologetic, entrenched, outnumbered, they stand there shoeless and covered in dust, hunched over the ruins of their clubhouse and still waving fists at Alison Weir and her giant league of supporters.  A suicidal standoff?  Masada much, JVP?

It is right and worth noting here that not all members of JVP support their leader’s attack on Alison Weir – we have seen comments by them clearly, categorically and earnestly asserting so.  These members are not suicidal or prejudiced, but today they find themselves in a very difficult moral dilemma.  What should they do if the JVP leadership is unrepentant and unwilling to issue a public apology to Alison Weir; unwilling to meet with Alison at a special roundtable to discuss mutual fence-mending measures?  Discuss effective re-unification of the Palestine movement?  How much time should these good members give the JVP leadership to reconsider their destructive methods and path?  They can’t just stand by waiting for Godot.  The tormented JVP lambs must soon make a move to distinguish themselves from the wolves inside their organization, lest they themselves become virtual collateral damage.  I do not envy their position.  They will have to decide for themselves whether they want to be, strictly speaking and within the context of the Palestine solidarity community, a Palestine-firster like the rest of us, or an Israel-firster like JVP and EtO.  May the force be with them on this difficult path to decision.

What we have learned through commentary evidence from the “Roundtable” debate is that the majority is unwilling to tolerate double-standards, unwilling to accept self-appointed leaders with sub-agendas, and emphatically unwilling to allow ANY form of racism, including antisemitism as well as anti-gentility (for lack of a better phrase).  This is a huge relief to those of us who months ago learned the facts of JVP’s gangsterism from other sites and have been anxiously waiting ever since for the MW clamp to be lifted on the story – waiting to hear everyone’s voice so we may all learn where the majority stands and move forward accordingly to overcome this troubling but temporary diversion from the cause.   It is high time to clean house.  Spring-cleaning (I hear) can be a divine and instructive act.

The other understated but important lesson from the “Roundtable” is that it behooves all of us who place great value on personal integrity to regularly check ourselves for cognitive waste matter.  Detox ourselves with streaming truths and facts and the universal principles of tolerance and equality.  We are many and therefore of many visions and opinions, all brought together by a single goal:  the liberation of Palestine.  Keeping ourselves individually clean of other agendas while working the Palestine file will save us months of diversions and distractions from the good cause in the future.

We already know that unity is the very fuel of a successful movement.   Our unity is paramount, especially in the face of the powers that our foe possesses.  This is not an invitation to conformity.  I think it’s obvious and expected that conflicts between well-meaning members and groups inside the solidarity movement will arise again in the future and we must indeed debate them with civility and rigorous adherence to truths and facts, and not address them through personal smears and shadowy sabotage of other.  But this level of progressive discourse is only possible if the activists themselves as individuals are continually practicing self-reflection, self-honestly, and respect of the other.

If we all want this movement to be enduring and successful, then we must first, and always first and foremost check ourselves for ideological toxins. We must lean to overcome the destructive forces of prejudice and hypocrisy within ourselves if we expect our efforts to produce genuine and enduring results..

There is no plainer way of saying it:  activist, heal thyself.

Standard

0 comments:

1. We already know that unity is the very fuel of a successful movement.

Aye, there’s the rub. I would venture to say that most of us are in this “movement” for a diversity of reasons, not all compatible or unifying.

Speaking for myself, I am driven by a desire to save my country. That is not to say that I am not moved by the plight of the Palestinians (or the Iranians, or the Iraqis, or the Afghanis, or the Libyans, or the Lebanese, or …), and all the other peoples that my country has wrought havoc on, but that motivation is secondary in priority. Perhaps it is because of my belief that if we can “fix” this country, it will fix the world.

Others may have different motivation. I ascribe a presumptive motivation to the MW/JVP Jews as one of self-preservation. They are smarter than their co-tribalists in having recognized the approach of impending doom because of the actions of their compatriots, and that motivates them to draw shaky lines in the sand to create a distinction, while still trying to “save” the tribe, however futile. They are driven by a desire to paint a new narrative, carefully crafted, which makes them the gate keepers that they are.

There is, of course, the very strong motivation of the Palestinians themselves, along with their co-sufferers, who are motivated by their desire for liberty, justice, and the search for escape from oppression and the right to call the land of their birth their home – a desire that all of us can identify with and rallies us to their cause.

And finally, I am sure that there are genuine and irrational antisemites (although I have yet to see evidence of these) who will rally to any cause for the opportunity to attack Jews.

I am probably missing out a few other categories in this “movement”.

Perhaps it is not so surprising for there to be fissures and conflict within such a disparate group of people, each with their own impetus for being there?

--- Cloak And Dagger

• I’ve said this before on another thread and I’ll repeat it here: there is no difference between the occupation of Palestine and the occupation of Washington DC. They are inseparable, symbiotic.

If you choose to support the Palestinians over the Israelis, you are de facto supporting the liberation of Washington DC. And vice versa.

• american200 says:

.”….’that motivates them to draw shaky lines in the sand to create a distinction, while still trying to “save” the tribe, however futile. They are driven by a desire to paint a new narrative, carefully crafted, which makes them the gate keepers that they are.”

I haven’t, they go to great lengths to claim there is no wide spread community problem or to downplay it… there’s only a Lobby and ‘few’….and you know the rest of the drill. They continue to promote the myth of collective Jewish perfectness.

Don’t have time now to go into all the reasons/ research for why I say it is not ‘just a few’.

But bookmark this and follow it as more of 125 Us “Jewish Chapters’ submit their Iran deal position.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This post is being continuously updated as more organizations weigh in on the Iran deal.
      Here’s a survey of the statements of 51 Jewish groups from all corners of the U.S. There are 19 opposed to the deal, a lot of skeptics who are not opposed for now and a couple of just-don’t-knows. The Jewish Council for Public Affairs counted 125 regional public policy agencies across the country. JTA’s list includes those whose statements could be found. If your group has issued a statement and is not on this list, please get in touch at rkampeas@jta.org

My own note…Kampeas is not entirely forth coming in his count of who is opposed. Even the ones who didn’t list as ‘opposed’..period…..came out as opposed to the deal ‘as it is now’ and if changes aren’t made .

If anyone doesn’t understand my position on the US Jewish “Community’ please refer to my ‘True Monkey Story’ that explains what created at least half of the community’s problem…the half the US is responsible for….the other half is solely their own tribal culture.

• Does anyone ever see MW or Phil addressing the US Jewish “Community’ problem of I-Firstdom and entitlement?

Can’t be done. Such a discussion would threaten the established narrative that accusations of divided loyalties are antisemitic “canards”, despite abundant evidence of its existence on almost a daily basis.

I call it what it is: TREASON.

2. @Taxi – as I have said before, and certainly validated by the large influx of MW refugees to your blog, you have the potential to be what I originally thought MW was intended to be.

You are no less a writer than Phil Weiss (who I still believe to be a force for good, though sometimes misguided – nobody is perfect) and in many ways, far more interesting to read.

Let’s make Plato even more significant.

• You’re too kind, Cloak, thank you. I may very well be a good writer but I do not like responsibilities at all. I positively hate them. I have a handful of responsibilities in life and I’m constantly trying to figure out ways of avoiding them. If I were to take Plato’s as seriously as Phil takes his MW, it would only burden me with another loathed responsibility.

I am happy for the time being to have myself and other bloggers, MW-ers or otherwise, come to Plato’s and share ideas and thoughts, censorship-free.

I am also happy to write geopolitical analysis on the larger mideast, as situations there develop – as well as share select daily articles on related USA-Israel-Arab-Iran-Russia-China-Europe matters.

3. american200 says:

Count me getting into the I-P-US issue for human rights and America First, in that order—-and if America was what it is suppose to be those would not be contradictory.

4. Danaa says:

Very well written Taxi and commendable sentiments. I especially liked the invitation to periodically check ourselves for ideological toxins. I suppose that applies to all of us.

Obviously the JVP leadership needs some deconstructionism from within themselves.

Hey, I am doing mine everyday. Nothing like getting rid of a spoonful of toxins a day to keep the reckoning doctor away.

• Frankie P says:

Danaa, you have implanted an image of Julie Andrews in my mind. She is singing from her performance in Mary Poppins.

“get rid of a spoonful of toxins, keep the doctor away, reckoning doctor away, reckoning doctor away
      get rid of a spoonful of toxins, keep the doctor away, in the most delightful way.”

• Danaa says:

Frankie P – very funny – rhymes too. And good to see you here. May be Plato’s Guns can become, like, a secret hiding place…. I mean, who can find anything on the internets these days – especially having to wade through them countless cat videos (yes, I just put another one up (a cat video that is). Some days I’ll get to that coveted 100K “views”…bet you didn’t realize my secret agenda on the I/P front…. please don’t tell. it’s a secret)..

Alas, in my recent opus on MW Round-Table (now on page 2 with over 900 comments and quite unwieldy!) I got carried away with elephants of all things. Imagination, is a tough cross to bear, and not always easy to control…..

5. straightline says:

The current debate on MW between Parity, Stephen Shenfield, and irishmoses in the thread about Alison Weir has driven me here (and possibly insane). I can’t cope with all the niceties and sensitivities about the definition of anti-semitism. It now seems that anyone who identifies as anti-Zionist is liable to be labelled anti-semitic – witness Jeremy Corbyn. The term needs to be abolished. If it’s racism, or bigotry call it that, but don’t reserve a special term for Jews – or Muslims for that matter.

Meanwhile let’s stop worrying about the sensitivities of the JVP types and concentrate on the real world. How many more children died in the last week in Gaza:

• The term needs to be abolished.

While I agree that “bigotry” describes the term aptly, and the term is used as a club to keep us from uttering revelatory speech, we can render the term harmless and inert by scoffing at it when directed our way.

It is often difficult when the gun is pointed at our head, but if we all agree to mock it everywhere, in person and in print, we do have the power to take away its power. The reason it works is because most people are inherently good and have a positive self-image, and such accusations can tend to make us defensive when such a response is not warranted.

• RudyM says:

Jeremy Corbyn is friends with Paul Eisen. Shocking! That’s how I first heard about Corbyn actually (quite recently). Corbyn sounds like a great guy, a good blend of concern for economic justice, in combination with opposition to Zionism and wars of aggression.

Speaking of which, I am being prompted to in to Google/Blogger when I try to get to Eisen’s website. I guess that could be caused by various things.

• straightline says:

That’s strange. After reading your comment RudyM I found and read some of his website – too focused on Jewishness for me. I thought that I had posted the information here, but it hasn’t appeared – maybe I pressed the wrong button. Now, however, I find that, like you, when I try to go to Eisen’s website, I’m sent to Google/Blogger where it says I am not invited.

He is involved in this though:

• Welcome Straightline,

Discussions on antisemitism can very quickly get tedious, especially if one has been reading them for decades.

And thanks for the EI link – so unbearably criminal! Meanwhile JVP leaders are beating their chests and wailing over a broken fingernail.

• Yeah, practically the whole tribe are umbilically attached to their manicurists – rabbi Perrin was merely speaking on behalf of the tribe’s nail polish colorist.

6. straightline says:

Isn’t this Paul Eisen’s website:

It too is too focused on “Jewishness” for my liking. No doubt Corbyn will be pilloried for such a friendship with someone who, as far as I know, has been responsible for the death of no-one. Cameron, on the other hand, openly claims to be a Zionist and appears to be on friendly terms with the war criminal Netanyahu and apparently that’s in the British media.

7. RudyM says:

From the interview:

The first problem on the Palestine question is not the mainstream, which is bad enough, but the left itself, its politics, including its media outlets. There is, in effect, an “Israel lobby” of the left, which sets the tone and limit of acceptable criticism. Israel was not an issue for the Jewish members of the American New Left in the early 1960s, who sought to build a Universalist movement. The New Left shattered in the late 1960s over internal differences, including attitudes toward Israel, after the June 1967 war. A “Jewish left” arose, which purported to combine Jewish commitment with social justice, including some criticism of Israel. Today a loose school of Jewish identity politics imposes on the left terms of “anti-occupation”, “law and rights,” “solutions,” “progressive Zionism,” “Israel as US strategic asset,” and “anti-anti-Semitism”. This circumscribed critique conceals the US Israel lobby and Zionism itself, in contrast to the classical liberalism of the Enlightenment and Jewish emancipation, which rejected Zionism categorically.

Noam Chomsky is the leading voice of this left Jewish orthodoxy, and his critique of BDS last summer in The Nation is a leading example. I wrote a long article on it, which was much deeper than the responses in The Nation.

Another example is the current vicious attack on Alison Weir, of If Americans Knew, by Jewish Voice for Peace and the US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation. Since becoming involved in the Palestine issue fifteen years ago, Weir has emerged as a national voice has spoken and written widely, build IAK, published pamphlets and leaflets and videos, and published a short book, “Against Our Better Judgment. The Hidden History of How the U.S. Was Used to Create Israel”, about Zionist influence on US foreign policy since World War I.

Weir and If Americans Knew have been expelled from the US Campaign to End the Occupation on grounds of “anti-racism”, an accusation grounded in interviews Weir gave to Clay Douglas, a far-right journalist whose work is full of anti-Semitic tropes. Weir has defended herself energetically, and a petition in support of her earned 1200 signatures in 48 hours, including many prominent figures, 83 members of Jewish Voice for Peace, and many members of US Campaign organizations.

This attack and expulsion took place in the name of the “anti-racist principles” of End the Occupation, drawn up with JVP, which also calls itself an anti-racist group. The “anti-racist principles” mention only Islamophobia and anti-Semitism. The extensive history and literature on Zionism as a form of racism, and on Jewish racism outside Israel, were not mentioned. Islamophobia has no following in Palestine circles. The omission of Zionism and Jewish racism, and the inclusion of anti-Semitism, suggest that the “principles” are conceived not against racism, but as a political weapon against those whom Jews disagree with.

This is how Jewish activists dominate the left on Palestine, and it has been going on for nearly 50 years. JVP is the latest incarnation of Jewish identity politics; predecessor groups included New Jewish Agenda, and others, dating to the “Jewish radicalism” movement of the late 1960s and 1970s, the first expression of the Jewish left. NJA strove to prevent cutting US aid to Israel from becoming a political program on the left. Etc.

8. I very much agree with your observations on JVP, taxi. I am still very surprised that people over at MW initially took the JVP bag carrier Hitchcock at face value and let her dump so inelegantly on Allison Weir, and at such length. My faith was somewhat restored as commenters belatedly realised the shallow depth of her ignorance about Weir as she repeated endlessly from the crib sheets that the JVP politburo had supplied, with tree in particular tearing her ill-educated, ignorant assertions apart – which she, of course, ignored.
    This is what goads me – no-one appears to be willing to call out JVP with the same certitude and brassy fanfare as Hitchcock did to Weir. What authority and credentials does she have to publicly trash someone even she admits she is not even casually acquainted with? Two examples spoon fed to her was all she could muster – as if she had just ‘happened’ to find them alone amongst her voluminous work. Yet to assassinate the character of someone who has nothing to prove to the gormless hatchet wielder JH, I would submit that you would have to demonstrate that you have conducted your research diligently, have studied her writing and have tried to communicate to her. None of these basic requirements of fairness have even been suggested, let alone performed.
    But never mind the messenger who isn’t a messenger, just an ingenue student is the character she has been allocated. Who is pulling the strings at JVP, and why don’t they come out in the open with documented evidence and proof of the diligent research, discussions and interviews they have conducted? What kind of organisation is it that remains so silent and in the shadows when it comes to attribution, evidence and accountability? What is the hierarchy of this opaque mob? What meetings took place, and what consultation took place with their membership? And where is the reference to it on their website?
    That’s right – nothing. If I was a member of JVP I would be grossly insulted, not just by the bag carrier’s juvenile antics, but by the realisation that a leadership exists which makes closeted decisions to silence people who have done far more than they have for the movement, and who many in the JVP ranks will have huge respect for. This reminds me of Scientology of Stalinism, where previous good members are suddenly denounced and exiled to the bafflement of the remaining members, along with carefully selected ‘evidence’ of their traitorous sins. In short, the question that JVP members should be asking is why there is no democracy, no accountability and no transparency in their organisation, yet it demands that they have no truck with respected campaigners in other organisations. It stinks, and I hope the more perceptive ones, get a whiff of it, and the hidden agenda of people who run it and who decide to burn heretics at the stake with no explanation of justification required. Reminds me of …. Zionism.
    The only good thing is JH has made a mockery of JVP and they would have to change radically for anybody to trust them. The bad news is that will continue to campaign to police the US discourse and ban people like Allison from public meetings. If Americans knew, indeed.

• And finally, what gall does JH display when she cheerily signs off with calls for ‘justice’! The glibness of these people’s calls for justice for Palestine is nothing but hollow words – they plainly do not know the meaning of the word. Otherwise why do they refuse to apply the most basic, elementary tenets of justice to Allison Weir, which is to give her a fair hearing and take into account her long track record, all of which, unlike their secret organisation, is publicly available? Acting like a Star Chamber behind closed doors, judge, jury and executioner with no witness statements, no defence allowed – what does that remind you of, and where? They should be shunned by all fair-minded people who believe in democratic and accountable organisations as the only way forward. What is their membership for – to belong to the cadre, following orders, or to be part of a transparent organisation accountable to its members and transparent in its democratic decision-making? Who could they be modelling themselves on and what loyalty do they exploit in order to act as thought police in America, whose ambitions I note now extend to policing the BDS movement – a great prize for the zionists who have been strenuously trying to infiltrate and discredit it, considering it one of their top priorities. Some plants in JVP would be perfect, since they don’t have to justify their actions to anybody, but can exploit the profile of the organisation and its supine, credulous membership. QED.

9. Uh oh, no edit facility?

Anyway, I would say ‘Activist, free thyself’ from false gods, leaders and organisations. The strength of the is movement lies in diversity, not uniformity, accepting that and working with it. Diversity and multiplicity acts as a brake on any demagogic groups of individuals who are keen to take the reins. It also means tolerance, trust and respect for many shades of opinion with a common goal. The opposite of everything JVP stands for.

• Thank you for your immense and righteous posts, maceasy.

I think MW-ers had an awakening with the publishing of “Roundtable’, an awakening that will from here on be expressed louder and with more outrage by bloggers.

No one in their right (and free) mind would trust a bunch of anti-gentile gangbangers like JVP from here on.

I actually think that the JVP exposure does not weaken the movement, but ultimately strengthen it.

I think that JVP will not go away lightly or overnight. But they will eventually be pushed to the curb by the disgusted solidarity majority.

Everything that zionists touch lately is turning to pox and dust.

• Frankie P says:

I would like to relate my experience with posting on the “roundtable” article, and then I would like to introduce the idea of a thought experiment for you all. It is related to the “anti-gentile gangbangers” (taxi, I’ve got to hand it to you, you come up with some refreshing descriptions), not just at JVP, but also among the contributors of MW, from Max B. all the way up to Phil Weiss.

I initially posted the following comment, and to be honest, I was surprised that Anniefofanny, who so often runs interference for her “rock star” Phil Weiss, allowed the comment.

Frankie P:
        Dear Adam, Phil and JVP, I am writing to forgive you for your anti-gentilism. I understand that this facet of your psychological make-up is not deliberate or chosen by you; it is the result of your upbringing, the myths you have heard, and a constant drumming into your heads from your tribe. I only ask that you consider that you may have a component of anti-gentilism in your heart and psyche, and try to make adjustments and start on the long road to wellness. I imagine that Alison Weir, someone who has been directly affected by your anti-gentilism, would also forgive you. I greatly admire the work you do to relieve the oppression of the Palestinians, but until you deal with this problem, I fear for the overall outcome. You seem to want to control the discussion, and open and honest discussion among ALL concerned parties, including the US population of EVERY stripe, is the only way forward in hope for a just resolution of the I/P conflict. The misguided belief that you can ignore and forbid discussion of Jewish people, Jewish religion, and Jewishness while trying to solve the problem of Israel/Palestine is ridiculous, wearing very thin, and perhaps it should be discarded.

There were a few replies,

W Jones:

Phil can not be implicated in the scandal, Frankie. You can’t presume his unwritten thoughts anymore than Weir’s opponents can hers.

Apparently, W Jones did not understand my post. I was not accusing Phil of antigentilism because of the Alison Weir case. I tried to make that clear.

Frankie P:

@W.Jones, My mention of Phil’s anti-gentilism is not framed by or limited to the context of the Alison Weir scandal.

Mooser then jumped in with one of his straw-man attacks; usually these things appear in a diarrhea-like explosion of incoherent posts as follows.

Mooser:

(comment 1) “My mention of Phil’s anti-gentilism is not framed by or limited to the context of the Alison Weir scandal.” No, of course not! Geez, first Phil is an anti-semite, now he’s anti-Gentile. He don’t like nobody.

(comment 2) “My mention of Phil’s anti-gentilism is not framed by or limited to the context of the Alison Weir scandal.” Well, at least your “mention of Phil’s anti-gentilism is not framed by or limited to the context of” any quotes or references to Phil’s writings, all conveniently archived right here. And given your generous offer to forgive him, it’s hardly even necessary, is it? Why rake up old scores, when one is ready to forgive.

Annie now jumps in to encourage Mooser, and in light of her decision NOT TO POST my subsequent clarification, showed me what she is really made of, and it ain’t about truth and honesty.

Annie:

lol mooser!

Mooser’s straw man: notice how he quotes me “mention of Phil’s anti-gentilism is not framed by or limited to the context of” and then he finishes the sentence with his own words as follows: “any quotes or references to Phil’s writings, all conveniently archived right here.”

Well, good people, my accusation of anti-gentilism WAS derived by certain quotes that Phil made on MW, one in specific that I had to dredge up. Who remembers when Phil Weiss called the Catholic Church “the church of pedophilia”? Who could deny that brushing the entire Catholic Church, which I believe has 1.25 billion followers, as pedophilia denotes anti-gentilism? I wrote a response to Mooser in which I mentioned Phil’s description of the church. I also called Mooser out on his past references to Christians from the US south, a large group of people who he often calls a host of derogatory names. I did NOT mention, though I should have, Max B.’s diagnosis Germany’s “sick society”. Does this count as “anti-gentilism”?

The comment that I made was never posted. Annie, who I hesitate to call a “groupie” because I feel that her heart is in the right place and she is extremely active in MW work, could not let rock star Phil be unveiled. That to me is sad.

Now it’s time for the thought experiment. First, I want to say that Phil Weiss DID make an apology for his cavalier words about the Catholic Church. Max B. has not apologized, as far as I know, for his comments on German society. My thought experiment deals with people who have made what has been deemed to be anti-semitic comments that they subsequently apologized for. Are they ever truly forgiven? Will they ever work again in their fields? Ask Mel Gibson. Ask Helen Thomas. Now, should people who make anti-gentile comments be treated similarly, or should we forgive them? I vote for forgiveness, but in order to give it to one group, equal love for all humanity decrees that we give it the other.

Keep checking for those ideological toxins, folks, and remember, as Danaa says:

Frankie P

• Frankie P,

Yeah I read that exchange back at MW – thank you for bringing it here.

The anti-gentile thing: it definitely exists in varying degrees in the Jewish community, plenty of examples of it on the net and within the Palestine community. Curious though that it’s only been in the past year or so that I’ve been seeing reference to it on the community’s blogboards. Better late than never, I suppose.

The Max B thing: pompous tribal motherfucker.

The W.Jones thing: he’s just a crypto creep.

The annie thing: she just loves Phil – protects him and his interests at every turn of the word – nothing nobody can do about that.

The Mooser thing: right, well I have some stuff to say about that. I actually remember Mooser’s first day on MW years and yonkers ago. Richard Witty instantly hated him and tried to demoralize him saying he wasn’t funny at all and a certified loon etc – actually Mooser was kinda funny that day, a little zany-dry but funny nevertheless. Anyway, for several years he would pop in randomly and never hang for too many days in a row. You’d kinda forget all about him and then he would just pop back in. He was cool and refreshing in those days. But as time passed, he was getting more and more irate with stuff some people were saying – his humor was becoming a little humiliating to others and sometimes aggressive – he mostly picked on zionists (hard and soft core), but some gentiles got ‘moosered’ too. With every visit he was getting madder and more pissed till one day he stated that he won’t be coming back – said something about ‘better things to do in life’. He was gone poof, just like that. He disappeared for the longest-longest time (several years) till his re-return last year (I think). During his long-long absence, someone posted a video of Mooser at his keyboard playing a jazz piece – he’s a very good musician. I just tried to find the video on youtube but sorry, nothing immediate turned up and I don’t have time to go into youtube innards.

I’m relaying the brief mooser history above because when he recently ‘re-joined’ MW after the longest absence, I sensed a difference. First, he was around the blogs for a big chunk of the day (most unusual for him) and the number of his posts naturally multiplied substantially. Second, the quality of a lot of his humor changed: a lot of his one-liners became kinda stiffer and forced, like he was not doing self-quality-checks on his materials before posting – like he wasn’t being spontaneous and stream of consciousness funny – like he was just writing out and publishing any old idea that would come to him and the more the merrier – quantity over quality – a vast quantity he started posting, like he was trying to fulfill a quota of comments or something. Yeah a quota. I suspect, though of course I’m not 100% sure – but I suspect that he may get paid (by a patron?) for turning up on the boards and swinging his schtick about – comedic relief for ‘depressed about the I/P’ Jewish readers, I suspect. Mindful here too that at the time of his last return, the MW comments vibe was at its absolute dullest and lowest in MW’s history.

Just my little mooser theory.

• And I meant to also add that an “edit” function button, as well as other civilized blogger tools will soon be installed at Plato’s to give visitors a more enhanced and pleasant experience.

10. Peg says:

What is causing me some cognitive dissonance is JVP and every other holier than thou gatekeeper not even mentioning Omar Barghouti’s own blatant racist statements. After a comment made by a white French woman, actually praising Barghouti and bds for their focus on non-violent strategy, he said, “I won’t take this from a white person lecturing us on violence.” He went on to say, “the white race is the most violent in the history of mankind.”

He might as well have said, “your race tells me you are a violent person. Therefore, you can’t comment on violence. So shut up.”

Clearly, he could have accused Western imperialism as it coincided with advanced military technology. He of all people should know that it’s not a matter of race but rather the social/psychological complex in which we live and learn. My mother used to say to me in situations like this: “But by the grace of ‘god,’ go there I.” My take on that: Circumstances, simple twists of fate, serendipitous encounters could have steered me towards racism, Zionism, or worse.

To me, it’s more constructive to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially when a person has a track record as exemplary as Alison Weirs’. I wouldn’t have gone onto those radio programs but she has her own ideas about spreading the word. She thought it was worth it. She wasn’t colluding with racists, imo.

I get Barghouti’s point, too. While it was an unfortunate comment, I don’t condemn him because I can understand where he was coming from when he said it. And it’s not a theme in his work. We are human and none of us are so inherently special that we can’t give slack to a fellow human who is clearly working to bring justice to others, in this case, the Palestinian people.

My point here is that Barghouti’s racist statement is overlooked by JVP yet Alison Weir gets dragged through the mud, not for making racist statements herself but for talking to supposed racists some years back.

• I for one was not put on this earth to ‘talk’ to zionists. I don’t know why people bother ‘talking’ to zionists, except in a confrontational manner.

• That’s true, straightline. There’s nothing wrong with ‘talking’ to a racist, but all the wrong in the world in agreeing with them.

• Hello Peg – and welcome.

I haven’t researched this myself for accurate scientific verification, but it looks to be true that ‘white man’ has caused the most death of other humans in recorded history. However, this should not be used as a club to bash “whites” with – obviously most white people are not genocidal motherfuckers who live on a diet of hate burgers.

Barghouti, being Palestinian, is somewhat constrained by his Palestinian identity – if he talked openly about treasonous jewish groups within the Palestine movement, people like JVP would start calling him ‘Khkhkhamas’ and they’d be perfectly capable of shutting down his activism in the wink of an eye. Alison Weir, on the other hand, cannot be slandered as a ‘terrorist sympathizer’ etc. so she will be bashed up with the old ‘antisemite’ club. Except that much-used club keeps bouncing back off her head. Heh.

11. I think this episode backfired for JVP, and all they had to do was have a little minyan with Alison to patch things up, but they went the typical aipac nightflower route to destroy and defame her character.

It seems that Alison was casting large net to get the message to the most people in the US about Israel and their criminality, and spoke to this Clayton guy without asking JVP for permission.

Can Alison still speak to right wing radio hosts any longer, or is that forbidden by the socialist elders of JVP? Alison doesn’t have the benefit of being Jewish, and was motivated to begin IAK by what she saw on her trip to apartheidville.

12. echinococcus says:

C&D,
    I would say that Phil Weiss’ motivation is not exactly the same as that of the JVP leadership. The former seems to be trying to “save” the good name if the tribe, while the latter look as if their priority were to save the Zionist entity in Palestine. For the JVP it’s easy to infer it from their change of “occupied territories” to “territories occupied in 1967” and the correspondingly limited (Beinart-style) boycott goals. Phil Weiss seems to be steadily evolving. Slowly.

13. JHitchcock at MW-

You have to laugh at her snarky last post as she attempts to save face.

“You all can disagree with that decision if you want, but if I have to choose, I am going with the Palestinian leaders of BDS.

Universal antiracism includes opposing antisemitism.

And it still sounds like many of the commenters still need to figure out what antisemitism is exactly because while it is like other forms of racism and bigotry, like all specific forms of bigotry, it also has unique characteristics about which several commenters seem to be ignorant, not care, or even actually believe.

I happen to think that it benefits Palestinian solidarity activists to be able to distinguish.

Someday hopefully you guys will get it.”

thanks for the wisdom, Jen…

• echinococcus says:

What I particularly like is the stupidity exposed and underlined by her cutesy-poo attempts at sounding intelligent.

As in: “Universal antiracism includes opposing antisemitism”

just after having attacked posts that isolate “antisemitism” as racism, i.e. directed at a group of people who happen to be born as nominally “Jewish”, clearly distinguishable from criticism of any later-acquired things (religion, politics, etc.), by raising another ruckus. She was (and some others were, too) saying that criticism of acquired traits, while not racism, were “as bad” and fully part of a not better defined “antisemitism”.

14. Naren says:

I just left a comment on that thread (my first one).

I found reference to your website from the comments on this article on the JSF website

As you can see, the owner of the site (Levi9909) describes this site as “fascist”. Alison Weir, Paul Craig Roberts, counterpunch and many others are suddenly being labelled fascist, white supremacist, anti semitic. It seems as though there is some kind of mediaeval purge going on!

I’ve just read through a whole number of articles on this site and there is nothing fascist about it whatsoever. Who appointed these people, JSF, Tony greenstein and Elise Hendrick (to name just a few) the purity police? Why is this all suddenly happening? Jvp, eto?

To me it’s all about infiltration and divide and rule and it seems to unfortunately be working perfectly. I hope you will be able to respond to the slanderous allegations from these self appointed witch hunters

• seanmcbride says:

Some anti-Zionist “progressives” in reality share the same narrow ethnocentric agenda as the ADL, JDL, JDO, JIDF, SWC and similar “defense” organizations. For them, it’s all about crushing “Amalek” (their primal ethnic enemies), using vague and empty smear words — like “fascist,” “racist,” “white supremacist,” etc. — that bear no relation to the views of the targets being smeared.

It’s quite a racket they are trying to run — but most observers can see through it.

How do you spot obsessively ethnocentric political activists who are trying to package themselves as “universalists”? — they can’t stop talking about their ethnic identity, issues, problems, conflicts and enemies — rather a giveaway.

• Good comment on MW, Naren. I think the zionist leftists, being one of the last lines of defense, are employing the white supremacy trope to divide and conquer mostly the liberal ‘white’ people who are beginning to see the criminal state in an entirely new light.
      Mark Elf is throwing barbs at Alison, yet he’s a ghost – no public picture of him or public speaking venues.

I’ll give him credit for the ‘How to make the case for Israel and win’.
      1. We Rock 2. They suck 3. you suck. 4. Everything sucks. No one condensed hasbara propaganda better that that. But he should wake up and smell the new breeze a blowin’. Plus he’s English and he’s condemning Alison for spreading a message in her own country. Sometimes I miss their logic.

• Welcome, Naren – and thank you for the JSF link. I also read your post on MW.

The irony of Jews Sans Frontiers building a wall to shield the tribe – heh. I read that as an own-goal for JSF.

They can go trash-talking Plato’s and the whole non-jewish universe for all I care. A couple of their members came to Plato’s several weeks ago and did a shit-and-run op in the comments section. So what? I don’t care. It’s this very indifference that is actually an effective weapon against their willful slander.

As far as I can see, the zionists are finally losing the battle for the ‘hearts and minds’ of the world. And the more they attack while claiming victimhood, the weaker they become in the eyes of the world. So let them the fuck attack all they want. Our job is to continue publicly questioning everything israel, everything zionist and everything occupation. Our task is to step over “ankle biters” without even scratching our ankle bones and continue disseminating information as we get it. They can’t stop a motivated volunteer army tasked and committed to truth and justice and to information dissemination. There are more of us than there are of them. Presently, and clearly, we are winning the so-called propaganda war – and there are no signs that this trend will frizzle out any time soon.

I’m actually glad the Alison Weir controversy is happening – because it exposes, en mass, who is who. After decades of working in the shadows, every zionist is now exposed. This helps us immensely.

I was educated and reared in the UK – I lived in London for some 24 years in my youth. When I resided there, zionism was truly hidden in the political shadows and look at it now: British politicians are lining up to publicly declare their membership to ‘Friends of Israel’. My question to you is: how do you think the general public feels about this? Last time I went to London (7 years ago), the cab driver taking me from Heathrow airport into London said: “zionists are the worst people in the whole world”. (BTW I wrote about this incident at Mondoweiss but that post was censored at the time). How wide-spread is this sentiment, Naren? Is there a JVP clone in the UK and what are they up to inside the pro Palestine movement?

It would be great if you would keep us abreast of any dodgy zionist activism in the UK – if you have the time and inclination, that is.

Zionism is a global problem, not just a Palestine problem.

• Anonymous says:

Thanks for your replies and comments Taxi, Sean, Chu (and anyone else). I’m surprised that Mondoweiss didn’t publish the story about the taxi driver. Doesn’t make sense.

There has definitely been a huge change in awareness of the Palestinian cause as well as a greater awareness of what the Israelis and Zionists are really all about. It was creeping up for the last few years but it made a big jump after the cold blooded murder of over 2000 Gazans a year ago. Unfortunately the Conservatives won the election and there is no greater Israel supporter than Cameron. Had it been a coalition things would be moving much faster. But he’s a complete tosser on everything and in spite of him things are moving in the right direction. We’ve backed the EU boycott and just announced the reopening of the embassy in Tehran. For the first time I do feel that there is a decent momentum in the right direction

Yet, right at this point we suddenly get the witch hunt but I’m glad it’s happened as I think everyone needs to work out where they stand (as you say)

Here in the UK the main anti zionist groups are from the hard left. It seems more important to them to excommunicate you for either being accused of being too far to the right or even faintly anti semitic (which apparently only they are able to detect, their leaders being Jewish!). They love JVP and Ali Abunimah and throw all their weight behind them. Therefore they vigorously defend the JVP position and join in on any attack made by anyone from that group.

It was Tony Greenstein who led the campaign against Atzmon and it was a ferocious campaign aimed at ostracising him and it worked. He and others reduced him into a poison chalice and even association with him is enough to get you excommunicated. Then they started on Alison Weir and then Counterpunch…..so if you don’t fit into their very narrow (supposedly) hard left socialist mindset as well as their version of who is and isn’t a white supremacist/anti Semitist then you are cast out

But in the overall picture these guys are just….tiny specs. They have done great work and a lot of their work is still truly excellent but this latest attempted purge is a serious miscalculation because their readership has just gone from tiny spec to microscopic.

I’m not much of a commenter and this is the first time I’ve ever left comments anywhere. I spend time hassling and annoying our MP’s here and the more you hassle them the more headway you make. And there are lots more people doing that these days and eventually the idea of wholesale unconditional support to that rogue state will become untenable

Finally I think that Mondoweiss should come out and make a statement as to where they stand and confirm whether or not they back the witch hunt against Alison Weir. Maybe someone will challenge them to make this statement? As you say Taxi, at least we will all know who is who.

• Naren says:

• Thank you for all the info and for your righteous activism, Naren.

I agree: MW editors should really tell us where they stand. But they won’t. They’re playing politics at the moment, not media.

After a week of much new learning on the subject of VJP and power-struggles inside the activist community, I’ve discovered that the JVP community is teeming with various opinions on this matter – yes there are dissenting members: we’ve seen their commentary here and on MW. It is really, therefore, the leadership that needs a shakedown – when I say ‘JVP’ in my posts, I really mean the leadership.

MW editor’s continuing silence is beginning to omit a bad odor. This controversy doesn’t seem to be going away at all. The silence is disappointing. We don’t know the exact facts behind this MW silence, we don’t know the editors’ reasons for this silence – we don’t know the list of their pressures. We can only second-guess and guess at their motives.

I don’t think it will work for them to avoid making statements on the JVP/AW controversy in the hope that we have short memories.

15. Pingback: Jewish Anti-Goyism and the Entrenched Divisions in the Palestine Movement | Plato's Guns